Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wikis

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about other participants in 23 Things and adding my information. My page is under Susan B. I added the subpages, Who am I?, What do I like to do?, and My favorite things. It was very easy.

I am a member of a wiki of elementary librarians in our school district. We exchange lesson plans and ideas, but we haven't done a very good job of keeping up with it. I forget to look at it. Maybe that will change after doing this "Thing."

I went to Wikipedia and looked up several articles but didn't see anything that was suspect to me. It did horrify me this year when a group of teachers on my campus had their students use Wikipedia as the primary resource for their research project. It is hard for me to teach the kids how to research without the aid of computers, projectors, whiteboards, etc. in the library. I will volunteer to go to the computer lab with them this year to prevent Wikipedia from being their main source of information. I had no idea they were using it as their primary source of information, especially with the multitude of free, electronic resources available to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment