Saturday, August 1, 2009

Podcasts

Although I have an IPod, I did not know much about podcasting. This was a good "thing" to learn about. I listened to several booktalks from Nancy Keane's website called "Booktalks Quick and Simple." They lasted less than a minute each, but I thought they were a little boring. They did not really make me want to read the books. I think podcasting could be a good tool for booktalks though. You could make it exciting for the kids. It is something I might like to try this year. The audio quality was excellent!

I found another podcast site called "TechTeacher." I did subscribe to that one because it had some very good information on it about all things tech and teacher-related. I couldn't figure out how to get the player on my blog, although the instructions were there. Maybe I'll work with it later and see if I can find the spot to add the html stuff. I subscribed on a biweekly basis via email. I'm looking forward to listening to these podcasts this year. I think they will be very helpful. The audio was clear and the speaker held my attention.

I went to the DeKalb County Public Library's website and found their podcasts. They also had a YouTube video on their page that explained podcasting. It was very good.

I'm not sure yet how much lower elementary grade students would use podcasting, but it might catch on. Ebooks and podcasts would be great things to have for long vacation trips on the car or on a plane. They would probably be interested in podcasts by their favorite teen idols--Miley Cyrus, etc. or in podcasts about their favorite sports teams. It will be interesting to see how podcasts are used in public elementary schools in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment